Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Home Remedies For Colds and Sickness

For as long as I can remember I've wanted to use natural or home remedies versus store-bought items from the drug store to fight the common cold and sickness. Now in the time of Corona virus everyone is extra aware of staying healthy and taking care of themselves in the best way possible. For some people they have no problem guzzling bottles of over the counter cough syrups and other cold and flu medicines. For me I'd rather look to my pantry when I start not feeling well. I decided to put together some of my favorite at home remedies to share with you.

My number one go-to treatment for most ailments is water. Are you drinking enough water every day? The human body is up to sixty percent water and drinking soda and other high sugar drinks all day isn't going to keep your body running the way it should. Most of my headaches come from being dehydrated so the first thing I alway say is "Have you been drinking water?".

Another one of my must have's to get over not feeling well is hot tea. Never underestimate the power of a hot cuppa tea. There are many varieties of tea including green, black and earl grey. Peppermint tea is good to sooth a cough, so I always try to keep this on hand. With the Corona Virus making people have such bad coughs drinking hot tea can soothe your throat.

Something else to keep in your pantry medicine cabinet is honey. Coughing and sore throats are a very common symptom people are dealing with everyday. Honey is very effective as a cough medicine and can help to make a sore throat feel better. I like to take a teaspoon of honey a few times a day. You can also add it to your hot tea as a sweetener. Honey is full of antioxidants and can also be used on minor cuts and scraps as a natural antibiotic.

The next item to pick up if you are feeling sick is fresh ginger. When the hot tea and honey aren't cutting it I have to break out the big guns. Take a little piece of the ginger and peel it. Boil the ginger for about twenty minutes to make a ginger tea, add some honey as well. The anti-inflamitory benefits of ginger can open airways and help ease cough. If you've never bought it before you can find fresh ginger in the produce section.

Chicken noodle soup isn't just good for the soul, it can also help clear up nasal passages when you are congested. The hot liquid broth can also help to sooth your throat like a hot cup of tea. Containing neutrophils, chicken noodle soup can also help boost your immune system. I love to make homemade chicken noodle soup but I always keep a few cans on hand.

Some people like to suck on cough drops, I like to use peppermint candies. Peppermint oil is anti-bacterial, not only can it fight bad breath it can help keep your gut feeling it's best. When I feel sick to my stomach I also turn to the peppermint candy, it supposedly can also help with anxiety. If I'm going on a long car ride I always make sure to have a purse full of peppermints.

For as long as I can remember if I had a sick feeling stomach I would turn to ginger-ale to help make me feel better. You don't always have the time to make some ginger tea and ginger-ale is a great option to use when you are on the go. Ginger-ale is a perfect item to add to you're at home medicine pantry, just try to find a brand that uses all natural ginger.

Lastly some of the vitamins I would add to my supplies are Vitamin C, Zinc, B-12 and Vitamin D. They are all good for different reasons. Another suggestion when you are sick is to get plenty of rest. It's not always easy to do when you are coughing like crazy and generally miserable. If you are super achy try taking a warm bath with some Epsom salts. Make sure you seek medical help if you have a high fever or trouble breathing. Otherwise try some of these home remedies to get you feeling better in no time.

Find us on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment