Friday, June 29, 2018

Making Your Own Homemade Butter

Have you ever been curious about making your own butter? If you've made it before you know it's pretty easy and if you haven't you're in the right place! I've broken it down into easy picture directions. The best thing about making your own butter is you can add flavors like cinnamon and honey or garlic and herbs. Follow these easy steps and you'll have your own fresh butter!

Start with an empty glass jar and a container of heavy whipping cream, as you can see I used my local store brand. I let my heavy cream sit for tweleve hours at room temperature before starting. I suggest letting it sit out over night and making it in the morning. The glass jar I used was an empty applesauce jar cleaned well and dried.

The next step is to pour your room temperature cream into your empty glass jar and make sure the lid is on tight! You don't want heavy whipping cream splashing all over your kitchen!

Start shaking and soon the jar is coated with the cream. Shake about one shake per second for two to three minutes. If you have kids this would be a good time to let them help shake it up!

After the shaking is done you are left with a jar of butter and buttermilk which will look like this.

Pour off the buttermilk from the butter. Don't throw this away though! You can use it for making buttermilk biscuits or pancakes!

Now it's time to rinse your butter with cold water. Pour the water into your jar covering the butter and shake for a half a minute or so. Drain off the extra water like you did with the buttermilk and throw away. I rinsed mine twice.

This is what you end up with at the end of the process. After you get the butter into your bowl you can add your salt or any other kind of herbs or mix in's to make this taste how you like. You can also get a bit more water out of it while you're moving the butter from the jar to the bowl.

I stored my butter in a small plastic container with a lid I had laying around. Your butter is now ready to eat on your favorite bread. This butter tastes so good you'll want to make it again and again!

Find us on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment