Monday, June 18, 2018

Fishing And Finding Trash!

This weekend I was doing a little fishing from shore in the Gulf of Mexico here in Florida. I was standing on big rock trying to keep my line out of the oysters that were around. I just happened to look down and I saw a part of a fishing reel in the water. Well when you see reel you think line and I didn't want all that line to get in the water and hurt our wildlife. I reached on down and pulled it out of the drink and discovered it was a Penn reel that was broken but full of line. I tossed it on shore to throw away later.

I took a little break from fishing and decided to walk around the shoreline looking for any other trash I could find. It didn't take long before I collected a old bent jig head and bunch of fishing line. It really only took me a few minutes of my time and I was surprised by how much line I found. I was in a public fishing place and the state does have garbage cans there. I went ahead and took the bundle of line and the old reel and tossed them in the garbage.

After picking up the trash I decided I would do a little more fishing. I didn't take long though before I found some more fishing trash! Right in the water on the edge was a fake shrimp jig with treble hooks that looked very realistic. This kind of thing would be horrible for a bird to eat thinking it was a real snack. I also found some metal fishing leader. These items also made it into the trash can!

I didn't set out that day with the intention of picking up trash from our fishing spot. It just kinda happened organically because there was stuff around and I knew it shouldn't be there. I was raised with the saying "Take only pictures, leave only footprints". That's a motto that I follow and teach my daughter. After all this our only planet. These are our beautiful waters and wonderful creatures. It's our trash and we need to keep our world clean.

Find us on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to pick some of the trash up. I like to go on trash cleanups in various places a few times a week and I think people would be very surprised if they knew just how much you can find doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you as well. It's really everyone's job to kinda help keep the planet clean!

    ReplyDelete